Tuesday, July 15, 2008

DAY ELEVEN OF HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY

Today my pain is still in a bad cycle. 

I understood this was coming and everyone who has been following my blog should have too. If this is the first day you are reading my blog, please scroll down and read the days in order so you can understand all about how patients undergoing HBOT will sooner or later hit "the wall", the point during their treatment when their pain actually gets worse not better.

But it is at this point that you have to tough it out, hang in there until you get over the wall, go around it, or break through it. On the other side your pain will go down and the hope is, and the evidence points to, most patients having their pain going way, way down. 

So to me, hitting the wall is a good thing. It tells me that the HBOT is working! 

Think about it. 

Just as Dr Spiegel, and most every HBOT Doctor advises, I have not started any other treatment at the same time, have not changed any medication, and I haven't changed my schedule much (except to cut down on my physical therapy a bit and of course gotten a lot more rest).  This was to ensure that we knew any change that occurred to my CRPS, good or bad,  we would know  was due to the HBOT. 

So it stands to reason if the pain is worse it is because of the HBOT. My body is growing new blood vessels, among other things, in those areas of my body where I have had CRPS (which is pretty much everywhere) for decades. The worst areas for me have always been my four extremities and my eyes; the very things that are screaming in pain right now. My body is trying to adjust to the healing taking place. 

I know it is a simplistic way of viewing it but I liken it to the CRPS trying to hang onto my body while the HBOT is trying to toss it out. It turns my body into a battleground. It is why I am in such pain right now. 

But I can fight through it as I said because off the pay-off. It is tough, but one day at a time.   
 
Humor is one of the best tools to battle pain. Our HUMOR Section on the website is one of the most visited sections, outside of the pain areas. That and the POETRY Section have proven to be very popular. 

Here are some of the excerpts from some CHURCH BULLETINS, always a good source for humor.; one of God's greatest gifts!

1- Miss Charlene Mason sang "I Will Not Pass This Way Again" on Sunday, giving obvious pleasure to the congregation. 

2 - At the Evening Service tonight the sermon topic will be "What is Hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice!

3 - Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of several older ones.

4 - Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

5 - Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.

6 - Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help! 

7 - Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24th in the Church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.

8 - The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind. They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon. 

Ah yes, humor is a wonderful thing :)

Lastly, on this day I want to give a shout out to the most influential man I have ever met. He had a wonderful sense of humor and even though everyone didn't laugh at his jokes, he certainly enjoyed them. Kind of like me today! Four years ago today he was called home. Dad, we miss you every day.

Peace, Keith 

No comments: