Friday, July 11, 2008

HYPERBARIC TREATMENT, END OF WEEK TWO

Well, it is the end of week two. My pain has spiked a little in my extremities; hands and feet. My right arm is a little sore, I think from the injections though. My eyes are fairly the same, argghhhhhh. But otherwise I think there is some improvement. I will know more on Sunday I think, when I have missed two days of treatment. Although I shouldn't notice as big a difference this weekend as I did last weekend apparently. I am hopeful to see big difference next week, maybe some big ups and probably downs, that will mean I am near the big wall!

Some have asked what other disorders/conditions/diseases are indicated for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. 

On Doctor Allan Spiegel's website, NATIONAL HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY , there is a very extensive listing. CRPS isn't mentioned there because there is an entire section devoted to it elsewhere on his site in the NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS SECTION as well as in the RSD THERAPY section. 

Something else that has come up in recent days is the more than rare occurrence of RSD patients actually popping up with Lyme Disease. If you aren't familiar with the disease and/or its symptoms you might want to check it out. Some of them; neurological changes, such as memory issues, tingling in the hands/feet, swelling and pain in the joints, pain/weakness in the arms and legs, and many more. Some of those sound familiar guys? 

I doubt you will find anyone who treats patients with HBO that doesn't have a few stories of patients who come in with a diagnosis of RSD that end up testing positive for Lyme disease. Fortunately the treatment protocol is the same, maybe a few more treatments for the Lyme disease patients I am told. But otherwise it is basically the same treatment depth. 

I am probably driving Phil, the technician, and Dr Spiegel crazy with all the questions I ask. I am a naturally inquisitive person to begin with but when I undergo a treatment such as this, which is fairly unknown to most in our community despite a plethora of information available, I am even more in the face of the people performing the procedures. Not just for me but for all the people who come after me, who come to me with questions. 

I don't want to sound holier than thou but I take the trust of my pain community friends and family seriously. When people visit our website and read the information there I want them to be assured we have checked out the information thoroughly and stand by what we write.  The websites we refer people to are sites we have checked out. The people we work with in the pain community are dedicated to healing. 

Someone asked me yesterday what I was going to do if this procedure healed me completely, left me with zero pain? I said I hadn't really thought about it. I don't think they believed me. But it is the truth. I have been dealing with CRPS since I was 14. I had numerous breaks, tears, and bruises all growing up through sports. I got in the car accident in my early twenties and broke my back, among other things. Later, I developed Fibromyalgia. I have dealt with the eye issues/vision problems since I was 14 as well. 

I am not complaining, not at all. I am simply saying, I have dealt with pain for so long I am not really sure how I would handle not being in pain. I would like to know. I am praying it will happen to some degree, meaning whether it will be 90, 95, or even 100% pain-free I don't know but I will gladly take whatever I can get, every inch, every % I can get. Because the healthier I am, the more I can help others with their pain issues. I know it is my life's work, has been and will continue to be. 

I am trying to do everything they tell me to; eat the right stuff, rest as much as I can, take my vitamin E, D, and get my B vitamin injections. I try to swim as often as I can to keep my body active as well. Not doing laps or anything but just being in the water and staying limber. I love the water.

And I try to learn everything I can.

Ok, enough of this stuff.

Have a great weekend everyone! Go, enjoy, have fun, swim a little, rest a little, do something enjoyable, read a good book, learn something new, and share a good joke!

Peace, Keith

No comments: